Lenten Prayers for Vocations
Jesus was led by the Holy Spirit into the desert for forty days of prayer and fasting. As a parish community, let us take our 40 days of Lent to pray for those being led by the Holy Spirit to the priesthood in the Archdiocese of Washington or to a vocation with our Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary. We notify each person with the specific date we are sending prayers for their vocation as ask their prayers for our parish. Someday they may even find themselves assigned here- to a welcoming parish that prayed for them in their formation!
If you’d like a paper list to keep handy, they are at the back of church or can be printed HERE
Biographies and information for our seminarians can be found on the DC Priest website
O loving and gracious God, Father of all, you bless your people in every time and season and provide for their needs through your providential care. Your Church is continually in need of priests, sisters and brothers to offer themselves in the service of the gospel by lives of dedicated love. Open the hearts of your sons and daughters to listen to your call in their lives. Give them the gift of understanding to discern your invitation to serve you and your Church. Give them the gift of courage to follow your call. May they have the spirit of young Samuel who found fulfillment in his life when he said to you, "Speak Lord, for your servant is listening." We ask this through Jesus Christ. Amen.
Thank you for calling [name] to discern his call to your Holy priesthood. Teach him humility and fidelity to unselfishly help others. May his devotion to Our Blessed Mother, Queen of Vocations increase, enabling him to do your will. Grant him the grace to grow closer to You through daily prayer. Help him form his personality as a credible witness to others. Bless him while he studies Your word and the teachings of the Church, and give him a generous heart to follow in Your son’s footsteps and serve Your people. We ask this through Christ your Son. Amen.
______________________Heavenly Father, since the time of the Apostles you have inspired the Church to commission certain members to assist in a special way in the pastoral mission of Christ. Thank you for calling [name] and all who are preparing for their vocation in your Church. Bless them that they may be humble and faith-inspired in their service to your people. We ask this through Jesus Christ, our Lord and Redeemer. Amen.
During past Lenten seasons, Little Flower parishioners have prayed each day for a specific seminarian discerning a call to the priesthood in our Archdiocese. We notified each man with the specific date we were sending prayers for his vocation.
These are some of the many grateful replies we received:
- “I know how powerful your prayers are in obtaining grace for my brothers and me as we’re being formed to be priests, especially through the intercession of St. Therese!”
- “Thank you for your support of my vocation, especially of course for your prayers. It is a blessing to know I am not alone on my way but that God sends me many wonderful people accompanying me.”
- “I will lift you all up in my Holy Hour today, expressing my gratitude to the Father for loving me through your care.”
- “Thank you for your prayers for me and the other seminarians at Pope John Paul II Seminary. I will keep your community
- in my prayers as well.”
- “Thank you for your prayers and support as I continue to follow the Lord’s will for my life.”
- “As I draw closer to my ordination date for the Diaconate, it means a great deal to me to know I am supported by prayers.”
- “It is inspiring to know of the support from the people of God. Be assured of my prayers for you all as well.”
Are you are discerning your vocation in life and are wondering if you are called to the priesthood? Contact one of our parish priests or the ADW Director of Priest Vocations, Fr. Mark Ivany at email@example.com for guidance.If you know of someone else who might be open to a conversation about vocations, please let us know!